- 1/2 cup self rising flour ( I use gold medal)
- 1/2 cup non fat plain or Greek yogurt ( I use chobani)
- 2 oz light cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg (beaten for egg wash)
- 1 tsp vanilla + a dash vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fat free sour cream
- Optional: assorted sugar free jams and preserves or 1/8 cup pie filling (to be divided into 4 servings)
- 1/4 cup swerve confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tbsp land o lakes light butter or any light butter (softened)
- 1/2 tbsp skim milk or unsweetened almond milk
Or you can melt 1 Tbsp ( divided into 4 servings) of pillsbury sugar free vanilla frosting and drizzle over the top. (Points would not change)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. In a mixing bowl combine self rising flour and Greek yogurt, and add a dash of vanilla extract. Mix until well combined and knead dough until dough is pliable.
3. Divide dough into 4 sections. Gently lift each dough section and twist opposite ends in opposing directions into a loose rope.
4.Spiral the rope around itself to form a loose circle/spiral.
5. Place onto a cookie sheet lined with a parchment paper, spacing danishes about 2 inch apart.
6. Press the centers with a finger to make a well for filling. Using a basting brush, brush dough with egg wash.
7.In a bowl, mix together light cream cheese, sugar substitute, lemon juice, vanilla extract and sour cream.
8. Using a spoon; full each danish with cream cheese filling and added pie filling or jam on top of cream cheese filling
9. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. or until lightly golden brown.
10. In a small bowl, stir together swerve confectioners’ sugar, milk and softened butter.
11. Using a spoon drizzle icing over the tops of the danish or you can put it into a small zip-top bag and snip of the corner to drizzle it.
12. Let them to cool for 5-8 minutes before icing.
Servings: Makes 4 cream cheese danishes for 4 Freestyle smartpoints each or 2 for 7 Freestyle smart points