With Memorial Day Weekend less than a week away it’s time to find a great dish for your upcoming BBQ! This Bacon, Avocado, Chicken Pasta Salad would be a definite crowd pleaser.
- 11 oz. pasta (I use Penne Barilla Plus)
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken tenders or breasts, cooked ( I use shredded chicken breasts that I had cooked in the crockpot on low for 4-6 hours)
- 10 slices center cut or pre-cooked bacon ( I use Hormel black label pre-cooked bacon)
- 1/2 cup non fat plain or Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp light mayo ( I use Best Foods)
- 1/2 oz ( half of a packet) dry ranch dressing mix
- 3 oz avocado, diced
- 2 tsp balsamic glaze ( I use Trader Joe’s )
- 1/4 cup diced grape tomatoes
- 5 Torn fresh basil leaves (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, light mayo, and dry dressing mix. Refrigerate for at least an hour,or overnight.
- In a pot, cook pasta as directed on pasta package.
- Remove from heat, drain, and rinse under cold water.
- Cook center cut bacon as directed on package or microwave precooked bacon slices for 50 seconds. Let the bacon slices cool for 5-10 minutes and then crumble.
- In a large bowl add cooked chicken and pasta. Stir well to combine.
- Pour dressing over pasta and mix well until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Refrigerator for at least one hour
- Top with bacon crumbles, diced tomatoes, avocado slices, drizzle balsamic glaze and basil leaves before serving
- Serve on top of lettuce, on a ciabatta roll or by itself.
Servings: Makes 6 (1 1/4 cup) servings/ 7 Freestyle smart points
1/2 cup for 4 Freestyle Smart Points as an open face sandwich on top of a ciabatta roll.