- 1/2 cup self-rising flour ( I use Gold Medal)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain or Greek yogurt ( I use Fage) Tip: the thicker the yogurt the less sticky the dough will be.
- 1 medium apple, cored, peeled, and diced
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp Land o’ Lakes light butter made with canola oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Sukrin Gold or Splenda Brown Sugar blend ( I use Sukrin Gold)
- 1 Tbsp Smucker’s sugar free caramel syrup.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a skillet pan, melt butter and cinnamon over medium heat. Stir in diced, peeled apples, & water.
- Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 3 minutes or until apples are slightly softened. Add brown sugar substitute. Stir until it thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and Greek yogurt. Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle a little extra flour on the tabletop or whatever surface you plan on using to knead the dough. Place the dough ball on top, kneading it with your hands. If it sticks to your hands, sprinkle a little extra flour on it. Knead for about 3-4 times, until it’s a pliable dough.
- Spread the 1/2 dough out on a parchment-lined baking sheet, until it’s about 1/4″ thick, spread cinnamon diced apples over the dough & pinch sides to close up the holes.
- Brush tops of the dough with egg wash (egg beaten with 1tsp water)
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the crust has puffed up and is lightly golden.
- For icing: melt 2 Tbsp Smucker’s sugar free caramel syrup in a microwaveable bowl.
- Drizzle 1/2 Tbsp of caramel sauce evenly over each turnover.
Servings: Makes 2 turnovers/ 1 turnover for 4 Freestyle SmartPoints®
Note: If you use any other brands other than listed on the recipe, the point value may vary. Please double check points on the ww application.